AMEX Waives Annual Fees For Active Duty Military Members & Spouses On All Their Credit Cards----Most Importantly Their Exclusive Platinum Card® Offering Huge Perks!
Did you know that American Express Waives the Annual Fee on All their Credit Cards for Military Members and their spouses? This is true for all their credit cards but it is most valuable on The Platinum Card® from American Express, this card has a ton of amazing perks with a whopping annual fee of $550. Below we are going to highlight how you go about getting the AMEX annual fee waived and the benefits of The Platinum Card®.
AMEX waives the annual fee due to an act called The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA), formerly known as the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act (SSCRA), which is a federal law that provides protections to individuals in military service. Many of these protections are focused around interest rates and fees. American Express took it upon themselves to take this Act one step further by eliminating the Annual Fees for Military Members and Spouses on all their credit cards. Kudos to AMEX! Let's dig deeper into this protection ACT and how to go about getting your annual fee waived.
Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) eligibility:
- Any member of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard) or a reserve component called to active duty (Reserve, National Guard, and Air National Guard).
- National Guard personnel under a call or order to active duty for more than 30 consecutive days (for purposes of responding to a national emergency declared by the President and supported by federal funds).
- Public Health Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Officers.
- U.S. citizens serving with the forces of a nation with which U.S. is allied in the prosecution of a war or military action.
- Spouses of active duty Servicemembers listed above where credit is extended to a Servicemember and spouse jointly.
Requesting Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) benefits for AMEX:
Submitting your request online is the fastest way to request SCRA benefits. You may also submit any relevant documents through the Document Center: this includes paperwork establishing active duty, such as documentation prepared exclusively by a branch of the military, the Department of Defense or your commanding officer which indicates that you are on active duty (e.g., active duty orders, change of station orders, DD-214 forms, letters from commanding officers, etc.).
Please note that SCRA benefits can only be requested online if the Card account you've selected is enrolled in American Express Online Services. If it is not, you may enroll your Card now.
Call the number on the back of your Card or 1-800-253-1720 to submit a request. If you are outside the United States, you can call us collect at 1-336-393-1111.
Fax documents establishing your active duty to 623-444-3000. Please make sure to include the applicable American Express Account numbers.
Send a copy of documents establishing your active duty to: American Express, Attn: Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, PO Box 981535, El Paso, TX 79998-1535. Please make sure to include the applicable American Express Account numbers.
SCRA benefit review process:
We will determine eligibility and confirm active duty by reviewing any military documents provided and by checking the Department of Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) website. If we are unable to confirm active duty, we will send you a written request to obtain a copy of acceptable military documents. You will receive a response within 60 days regarding the status of your request.
SCRA benefit removal process:If you would like to have SCRA benefits removed from your account, you may contact us via the same methods above.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.†
- RATES & FEES $550 WAIVED FOR MILITARY. No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.‡¤
- REWARDS BENEFITS- EARN 5X MEMBERSHIP REWARDS® POINTS‡
• 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
• 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.‡
- Membership Rewards® Program- Watch points add up. When you use your Platinum Card®, you can earn one Membership Rewards® point for every dollar you spend on eligible purchases.‡ Use points to treat yourself to rewards from over 500 leading brands in travel, shopping, dining and entertainment.‡
- UBER RIDES WITH PLATINUM‡ Get to where you need to be for less, with this exclusive benefit. Enjoy $15 in Uber credits for U.S. rides each month plus a bonus $20 in December1, simply because you're a Platinum Card Member. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.‡ 1Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only
The Global Lounge Collection‡ When travel calls, we answer. The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠‡ unlocks access to more than 1,000 airport lounges across 120 countries and counting. Our unmatched worldwide coverage is made possible through our own networks, The Centurion® Lounge and The International American Express lounges, as well as our partner networks, Delta Sky Club® and Priority Pass™ Select lounges.
$200 Airline Fee Credit‡ Enjoy perks while you fly. Feel free to check your bags or enjoy an in-flight meal on us. Select one qualifying airline and then receive up to $200 per calendar year in statement credits when incidental fees are charged by the airline to your Platinum Card® account.*
Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®‡ When you apply for and receive your Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®‡, not only can you get expedited screening at select airports, but you'll receive a credit for the application fees on your statement. Receive a statement credit every 4 years after you apply for Global Entry ($100) or TSA Pre✓® ($85) with an eligible Platinum Card®. Each Additional Card on eligible Card accounts is also eligible for one statement credit every 4 years for an application fee. To receive the statement credit, the application fee must be charged on the eligible Additional Card.
The Centurion® Lounge‡ Discover a sanctuary in the airport. Welcome to The Centurion® Lounge. From the moment you walk in, you'll see that this isn't the usual airport lounge. Unexpected touches like a locally-inspired fare meet productive workspaces, high-speed Wi-Fi and service that's second to none. And of course it's complimentary for Platinum Card® Members.
FINE HOTELS & RESORTS‡ Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550* with FINE HOTELS & RESORTS.‡
The Hotel Collection‡ Stay a minimum of two consecutive nights and receive a room upgrade, when available, and a $75 hotel credit to spend on qualifying dining, spa, and resort activities when you book your stay with American Express Travel.
Platinum Travel Service‡ Look forward to rich travel experiences. Platinum Travel counselors specialize in providing custom itineraries and tailored recommendations to help you make the most of your travels.
Starwood Preferred Guest® Gold Status‡ As a Platinum Card Member, you can upgrade to Gold status in the Starwood Preferred Guest® program without meeting any stay requirements. Receive all the benefits of a Preferred Guest® with the following enhancements:
• More Starpoints®: Earn 3 Starpoints for every eligible U.S. dollar spent -- a 50% bonus over preferred-level membership
• An enhanced room: As an elite member, you'll be given an enhanced room at check-in - corner room, higher floor, or better view.‡*
• 4p.m. late checkout‡ so you can sleep in, relax by the pool or see more of the local area you're visiting.*
• Little Extras: Your choice of welcome gift arrival - choose from bonus Starpoints, complimentary premium in-room Internet or beverage, and access to the special elite customer service telephone line for reservations and information. To enroll, call 800-525-3355 and choose option 3.
*Enrollment in the Starwood Preferred Guest program is required. Benefits are subject to change and are based upon space availability. Program amenities may not be combined with the FINE HOTELS & RESORTS program. The complete program terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guest program apply. Gold Preferred Guest status is valid as long as you are a Platinum Card Member in good standing. Upgrades are based upon availability and will vary by property.
Use your SPG number when booking at Starwood properties.
Hilton Honors™ Gold Status‡
With Hilton Honors™ Gold status, you can enjoy benefits at hotels and resorts within the Hilton Portfolio and earn reward stays faster with Hilton Honors Bonus Points. ‡
No Foreign Transaction Fees‡¤
No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Platinum Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.¤
Car Rental Privileges‡
Enjoy complimentary membership in premium car rental programs, including special upgrades and discounts.
I was sold at the Lounge Access and UBER credits. I was also told that you don't have to actually spend any money on this card to enjoy these perks. Of course, unless you want to take advantage of the welcome offer.
If you would like to look into any of the other AMEX cards you can view all 17 cards and compare them here.
FYI: this post is not sponsored....just sharing a great offer for the military community that you may not have known about :)