The Pat Tillman Foundation invests in military veterans and their spouses through academic scholarships - building a diverse community of leaders committed to service to others.
The Pat Tillman Foundation was established in 2004 following Pat's death while serving with the 75th Ranger Regiment in Afghanistan.
Scholarships awarded annually to veterans, active servicemembers and their spouses via the Tillman Scholars program. Every year, Pat Tillman Foundation receives thousands of applications from military veterans and their spouses nationwide. Up to 60 of the best-poised leaders, who show strength in character, academic excellence and incredible potential, are chosen as Tillman Scholars. They are individuals who will apply the best lessons they’ve learned in life and the military to impact our country for years to come in medicine, business, law, science, education and the arts. That’s why your support for the Pat Tillman Foundation is more than a gift – it’s an investment.
Meet the Tillman Scholars
**Applications to become a 2021 Tillman Scholar will open Feb. 1, 2021 and close February 28, 2021 at 11:59p.m. PST.**
Application Cycle Opens Feb. 1 – 28, 2021.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
The Tillman Scholar program is open to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Veteran and active duty service members from all branches of the military including National Guard and Reserves who have served in pre- and post-9/11 service areas
- Current spouses of veteran or active duty service members, including surviving spouses
Spouses, veterans and service members who apply must be a full-time* student pursuing one of the following degrees at a public or private, U.S.-based, accredited institution:
- An undergraduate degree (or above)
- A graduate or professional degree
*full-time as determined by the institution and program of study to which an applicant is applying
Strong applicants demonstrate clear academic goals, extraordinary leadership potential and a deep desire to create positive change. They believe their best years of service to our country are still ahead of them, and they are committed to strengthening communities at home and around the world.
WHAT IS NEEDED TO APPLY?
The Tillman Scholar Program is a merit-based academic fellowship. Applicants will be required to submit the following materials:
- Current resume
- Two, 400-word essays based on prompts provided in the application
- Financial worksheet
- Character recommendation from a third party
- Biography of no more than 250 words
If an applicant progresses in the selection process, they will be required to submit:
- Student Aid Report (SAR) generated through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Two photos from military service or with their spouse who is/was in the military
- Institutional financial aid award letter
- Applicants at this stage of the selection process will also be required to complete a background check.
CAN A TILLMAN SCHOLAR AWARD BE RENEWED?
Annual funding renewability will be considered for Tillman Scholars based on:
- Meeting the expected graduation date
- Proof of full-time student status and a minimum 3.0 GPA earned
- Engagement with the Tillman Scholar community
- Documented participation in service
- Accountability for use of scholarship funds
All criteria must be met in order to be renewed. Review of renewal status is conducted each June by the foundation. Students who have to extend their expected graduation date must provide proof of extenuating circumstances. Tillman Scholars are expected to maintain full-time enrollment in a U.S. accredited institution unless they are assuming part-time status during the semester they will graduate.
Scholarship funding can only be used toward a single, post-secondary degree.
THE TENETS OF THE TILLMAN SCHOLAR PROGRAM ARE:
- Scholarships: Annual funding for academic expenses, including tuition, books, and living expenses
- Professional Development: Opportunities to advance knowledge, skills, and experience
- National Network: Access to a community of high-performing peers, mentors and industry leaders
Apply To Be A Scholar HERE
Other opportunities through the Pat Tillman Foundation
Pat's Run is the Pat Tillman Foundation's signature annual fundraising event held every April in Tempe, Arizona and at Shadow Runs and Troop Runs around the world. This year will be virtual.
Thousands of people have already registered for the VIRTUAL Pat's Run April 24, 2021! Register today at www.PatsRun.com.
There are several ways to be a part of The Pat Tillman Foundation Mission:
Watch the documentary "A Football Life: In memory of Pat Tillman"
#RIP #NeverForget #PatTillman #PatsRun #42