Wow, look what was just announced.....A new lifetime pass for National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands, called America the Beautiful.
This new lifetime pass for Gold Star Families & Veterans is being offered to demonstrate the country's immense gratitude and respect for those who have served and defended our country.
Photo courtesy of NPS
OVERVIEW OF AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL--NEW LIFETIME PASS
- $10 processing fee on USGS Store, Free in person at sites that issue passes.
- Available to Gold Star Families and Veterans. See section below for specific documentation required.
- Obtained in person at Federal recreation sites that charge entrance or standard amenity fees.
- Covers entrance fees at U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and National Park Service sites and covers Standard Amenity Fees at Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation sites, and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers sites.
- Admits the pass owner and any accompanying passengers in a private, non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas, or the pass owner and up to additional 3 adults (16 and over) at sites that charge per person.
- If purchased from the USGS Store, your name will be printed on your pass.
What is the difference between the Interagency Military-Annual and Military-Lifetime Pass?
The Interagency Military Pass has been part of the America the Beautiful – The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass Series since 2012. On December 27, 2021, President Biden signed into law S. 1605 “The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2022” (NDAA). Section 641 of the NDAA makes Gold Star families and veterans eligible for lifetime passes to federal recreational lands.
The Interagency Military-Lifetime Pass can be issued to Gold Star families and U.S. military veterans. The Military-Annual Pass can be issued to current U.S. military and dependents.
Who qualifies for the Interagency Military-Lifetime Pass and what documentation is required?
1. Gold Star Families
- Gold Star Families are next of kin of a member of the United States Armed Forces who lost his or her life in a “qualifying situation,” such as a war, an international terrorist attack, or a military operation outside of the United States while serving with the United States Armed Forces, as explained in Department of Defense Instruction 1348.36
- Gold Star Family members must self-certify by applying for a Military-Lifetime Pass online at https://store.usgs.gov/MilitaryPass or downloading and printing a special voucher to either present to the ranger, exchange for a Military Pass in person, or place on the vehicle dashboard at unstaffed sites. Gold Star Vouchers may be downloaded from https://www.nps.gov/customcf/goldstar/voucher.htm
- Individuals who served in the U.S. Armed Forces, including the National Guard and Reserves, and are able to present one of the following valid non-expired forms of identification when entering or using federal lands:
1) Department of Defense Identification Card (CAC Card, DD Form 2, DD Form 2765)
2) Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC)
3) Veteran ID Card
4) Veterans designation on a state-issued U.S.driver’s license or identification card
- When acquiring a pass in person, the actual IDs listed above must be presented. As of September 2022, the VA only provides a digital version of the #3 Veteran ID Card. When acquiring a pass online, photocopies or digital images are accepted. Form DD-214 is not accepted.
Are passes available to disabled veterans or other people with disabilities?
Yes. The Interagency Access Pass is a lifetime pass that is free for any US citizen or permanent resident who has a medically determined permanent disability, including veterans. Review the Access Pass section for additional details.
What if I have a current Interagency Military-Annual Pass or other type of Interagency Pass?
- If you have a Military-Annual Pass, Access Pass, or one of the other Interagency Passes, you can simply use that pass for free access. All passes are non-transferable.
- If you have recently purchased an Interagency Annual or Senior Pass, unfortunately no refunds are permitted.
You may also obtain this pass with no fee at a site that issues passes.
LEARN MORE at https://store.usgs.gov/MilitaryPass
- $10 processing fee on USGS Store, Free in person at sites that issue passes
- Available to Current US Military and Dependents. Documentation is required.
- Obtained in person at Federal recreation sites that charge entrance or standard amenity fees. Federal Recreation Sites
- Covers entrance to U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, National Park Service sites, and covers Standard Amenity Fees at Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation sites, and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers sites.
- Admits the pass owners and any accompanying passengers in a private non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas, or the pass owner and up to additional 3 adults (16 and over) at sites that charge per person.
- If purchased from the USGS Store, your name will be printed on your pass
- If you purchased an $80 Annual Pass earlier in the year a refund will not be issued.
Learn more about the Annual & Lifetime Military Passes, Federal Recreational Sites and more at https://store.usgs.gov/MilitaryPass
MilitaryBridge's Big List of Veterans Day Discounts, Freebies & Giveaways